Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lessons Learned this Year.

I decided I wanted to take a part-time teaching job this school year. I loved my job. There were ups and downs during this year and I'd like to record what I learned from these experiences, for my own benefit. If anyone is reading this, you can just skip it and go surfing on the net.
  • I found out that I love teaching. My class sizes were small and my students were wonderful. I had a lot of fun and I got attached to a lot of them.
  • I like charter schools.
  • I also learned that it takes a lot of your own personal, unpaid time to: grade papers, grade tests, plan lessons, research lessons ideas, etc.
  • I learned a lot about the Spanish language while I taught it.
  • I learned to distrust the media even more. My school was targeted and attacked by the media because a large number of the teachers and administrators are Middle Eastern. The media accused the school of being being linked to terrorists and other ugly things.
  • I also learned that I'm more naive than I thought. I thought this teacher who was supposed to be supportive of the school was one of the people who gave half of the misinformation to the media, just to benefit themselves.
  • I learned that working, taking care of the house, and being a mom is really hard. I have a new admiration and appreciation for those single mothers with small children. How do they do it? I guess you just have to let go of some things.
  • I learned that it is heart breaking when your child is sick, throwing up, and you still need to go to work because your other children (students) are also counting on you.
  • I learned that even though I really like teaching my place right now at this time in my life is at home with my children. That is my most important role.
  • There is more I've learned, but I cannot remember it all. Overall it was a good experience.

No comments: